Bridging Saint John Harbour

Bridging Saint John Harbour

$24.99

Publication Date: 7th October 2013

In the 1850s, lumber mill owner W. Kilby Reynolds, with engineer Edward R. Serrell, succeeded in building the first suspension bridge to connect divided Saint John. This operated as a toll crossing until 1858, when it became a government-owned structure. From then until the present, there have been two vehicular-pedestrian bridges and two rail bridges serving travelers crossing Saint John Harbour at the gorge at the Reversing Falls. By the third quarter of the 19th century, there was talk and plans for a second bridge, one which would cross at Navy Island to the North End. It took about 80 yea... Read More
99998 in stock
 More payment options
🚛 Ground shipping arrival between Wednesday, April 02 and Tuesday, April 08.

Free returns. Free Economy shipping on orders $50+.
In the 1850s, lumber mill owner W. Kilby Reynolds, with engineer Edward R. Serrell, succeeded in building the first suspension bridge to connect divided Saint John. This operated as a toll crossing until 1858, when it became a government-owned structure. From then until the present, there have been two vehicular-pedestrian bridges and two rail bridges serving travelers crossing Saint John Harbour at the gorge at the Reversing Falls. By the third quarter of the 19th century, there was talk and plans for a second bridge, one which would cross at Navy Island to the North End. It took about 80 yea... Read More
Description
In the 1850s, lumber mill owner W. Kilby Reynolds, with engineer Edward R. Serrell, succeeded in building the first suspension bridge to connect divided Saint John. This operated as a toll crossing until 1858, when it became a government-owned structure. From then until the present, there have been two vehicular-pedestrian bridges and two rail bridges serving travelers crossing Saint John Harbour at the gorge at the Reversing Falls. By the third quarter of the 19th century, there was talk and plans for a second bridge, one which would cross at Navy Island to the North End. It took about 80 years before this plan came to fruition, and the Saint John Harbour Bridge opened in 1968. Through this rich collection of photographs, Bridging Saint John Harbour clearly shows the importance of the varied connector bridges over Saint John Harbour and how they came to be built.
Details
  • Pages: 128
  • Publisher: Arcadia Publishing Inc.
  • Imprint: Arcadia Publishing
  • Series: Historic Canada
  • Publication Date: 7th October 2013
  • State: New Brunswick
  • Illustration Note: Black and White
  • ISBN: 9781467120104
  • Format: Paperback
  • BISACs:
    HISTORY / Canada / General
    PHOTOGRAPHY / Subjects & Themes / Historical
    PHOTOGRAPHY / Subjects & Themes / Regional (see also TRAVEL / Pictorials)
Author Bio
Author Harold E. Wright invites his readers to join him on an exploration of Lancaster in an era when the Fairville Fountain still spouted. Within these pages, Willard Moore's Grocery, Buzz Devenne's Champlain Street Grocery, Purdy's Sales & Service, and Boyles Hardware bustle with customers. Rare photographs recall a time when the D.V.A. Hospital and the Protestant Orphanage, which are now gone, cared for the needy and the ill. Candid snapshots show how Lancaster's residents, politicians, and businessmen--people like Tommy Horsler, Les Spragg, Tom Butler, and Lyman Purnell--helped energize the community's civic spirit. A native of Saint John, Wright has written a number of books on the Fundy region, including Saint John and Saint John's North End. In Lancaster, he rekindles the sights, sounds, and spirit of this dynamic community.
In the 1850s, lumber mill owner W. Kilby Reynolds, with engineer Edward R. Serrell, succeeded in building the first suspension bridge to connect divided Saint John. This operated as a toll crossing until 1858, when it became a government-owned structure. From then until the present, there have been two vehicular-pedestrian bridges and two rail bridges serving travelers crossing Saint John Harbour at the gorge at the Reversing Falls. By the third quarter of the 19th century, there was talk and plans for a second bridge, one which would cross at Navy Island to the North End. It took about 80 years before this plan came to fruition, and the Saint John Harbour Bridge opened in 1968. Through this rich collection of photographs, Bridging Saint John Harbour clearly shows the importance of the varied connector bridges over Saint John Harbour and how they came to be built.
  • Pages: 128
  • Publisher: Arcadia Publishing Inc.
  • Imprint: Arcadia Publishing
  • Series: Historic Canada
  • Publication Date: 7th October 2013
  • State: New Brunswick
  • Illustrations Note: Black and White
  • ISBN: 9781467120104
  • Format: Paperback
  • BISACs:
    HISTORY / Canada / General
    PHOTOGRAPHY / Subjects & Themes / Historical
    PHOTOGRAPHY / Subjects & Themes / Regional (see also TRAVEL / Pictorials)
Author Harold E. Wright invites his readers to join him on an exploration of Lancaster in an era when the Fairville Fountain still spouted. Within these pages, Willard Moore's Grocery, Buzz Devenne's Champlain Street Grocery, Purdy's Sales & Service, and Boyles Hardware bustle with customers. Rare photographs recall a time when the D.V.A. Hospital and the Protestant Orphanage, which are now gone, cared for the needy and the ill. Candid snapshots show how Lancaster's residents, politicians, and businessmen--people like Tommy Horsler, Les Spragg, Tom Butler, and Lyman Purnell--helped energize the community's civic spirit. A native of Saint John, Wright has written a number of books on the Fundy region, including Saint John and Saint John's North End. In Lancaster, he rekindles the sights, sounds, and spirit of this dynamic community.